Information Technology Institute (ITI)
Applied Information Technology Certification:
classes in Java, Visual Basic, SQL, HTML, project management and documentation
Montessori Educational Programs International & Montessori Accredidation Council for Teacher Education
Montessori Certifications: Primary Education, Team Leader Training (required to become teacher trainer)
1994 – 99
Portland State University
Masters coursework in Education: Educational Media, Young Child as a Scientist, Working with Parents, etc.
Portland Community College
SBA classes on accounting, starting your own business, management
Aboriginal life skills (surviving with just your bare hands)
Lewis and Clark College
BA, Teaching Degree
2006 – present
Audubon Society of Portland
- Volunteer coordinator for the famous Portland Swift Watch.
- Member of Volunteer Council.
- Backyard Habitat Certification program: work with homeowners to restore their yards to support wildlife.
- Work in Nature Store: sales and inventory duties. Answer questions from the public about birds and other wildlife.
- Receptionist and Administrative Assistant: Welcome visitors, answer phones, filing, opening mail, etc.
- Received the Mamie Campbell Award for outstanding volunteer work (often called the "volunteer of the year award").
2008 – present
Oregon State University Master Gardener program
Master Gardener, volunteer
- Took classes to become a Master Gardener.
- Volunteer work answering questions about plants and wildlife, at their office, at the Oregon Zoo, and farmer's markets.
- Master Gardener program also works with Audubon Society on habitat issues.
2002 – 2004
Community Action Organization
- Supervised the Child Care Resource & Referral team, providing enhanced services to 750 child care providers and thousands of families.
- Developed and implemented training classes, reading programs, and published a quarterly newsletter.
- Successfully developed and monitored two new projects for Head Start.
- Oregon Certified Childhood Education Trainer for Oregon Center for Career Development in Childhood Care and Education.
2000 – present
Washington County Library
Library Assistant 2000 – 2002, volunteer 2002 – present
- Circulation duties: check books in and out, issue library cards.
1998 – 2000
Educational Director / Teacher Trainer
- Taught classes for teachers' professional development and certification.
- Classes demonstrably increased the retention of staff and students for Montesori programs.
1995 – 1999
Owner / Manager / Teacher
- Converted a church building into a school and started my own pre-school.
- Raised funding, hired teachers and other staff, managed business.
- The school was used by the local university as a superior prototype for internships.
1983 – 1995
Northwest Montessori School, Inc.
Administrator / Teacher
- Supervised all aspects of the business including hiring, training, promoting, and scheduling
for 30 employees and over 300 families each year.
- Improved the company's profits by assisting in the creation and expansion of six schools.